Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Father wants relationship. 
 I have often said that I think God's theme for my life is dependency.

You know He is a jealous God?  I don't know that I've ever heard a sermon on that one. 

He wants none to come before Him.  No idols.  Of any kind.  

There is no joy, but Him.   He is true beauty.  He is even true Truth.

 He wants me to know, out of the overflow of His love and grace, that I completely dependent of Him.

  He is my creator, provider, protector, and enabler.  
Without Him, I am not.  I have no purpose, passion or pleasure.  I'm vulnerable for eternity.  I can not unless He empowers.

He expresses His relationship to us in the most intimate of terms- husband, father,friend.  No relationship, no matter how carefully tended, manipulated or sacrificed for can fill this void.There is that "God-shaped hole
  "Pascal (1623-1662) wrote in his Pensees (10.148):1

What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace? This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him, seeking in things that are not there the help he cannot find in those that are, though none can help, since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself.
http://hindsfoot.org/godsha.html
 He expresses His relationship to us in the all encompassing, lord, creator, redeemer.  We simply are not without Him.  We don't exist.  We don't have purpose.  We don't have a future.   He is.  Without Him, we aren't.  

He is our Father, and our life abundant.  The existence He has given us is riddled with pain, difficulty, trail.  To believers, these things are expressly promised.  But that is not the end.  He blesses, encourages, gives all we need for life and godliness.   He wants us to live abundantly...in His economy.  We see through a glass dimly...

He is our joy .  His joy is our strength, not vice versa.  He is our hope.  Our Song.  
Our peace.  The circumstances simply do not matter.  As Paul, in whatever circumstances we can be content, knowing Him!

Father, we humbly ask for the reality of this to be more real each hour in our lives.  May being your redeemed creature be the center of identity.  May our relationship increase that it may be said of us that we walked with God.  For Christ and His Kingdom I ask.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully put. The overflow is flowing. Lord bless your day.

    Coleen in Ukraine, but temporarily in Southern California

    ReplyDelete